Skip to main content

The Sacrifice


     This whimsical story reminds us that we can never allow our beliefs to cause harm to ourselves or others.
     If you like this story, please share it with your friends.

The Sacrifice

“Would you eat my hand if I cut if off?” the sunbaked man asked through cracked, bleeding lips.
      “Probably not,” Mani Gupta answered. He watched his delirious questioner through the narrow slits in his swollen eyelids. “Eating your bony hand wouldn’t provide much nourishment, and I’m not sure if my religion permits me to eat live flesh.”
      Jessie Donner held the blade of the knife inches above his wrist. Suddenly, he switched ends and presented the handle to the old Hindu. “Then would you chop off your hand for me to eat?”
      “My friend, it is unfair to ask that I sacrifice my hand for you to eat when you have had plenty of opportunities to kill fish. Ever since the shipwreck 23 days ago, we’ve been on this raft and many fish have jumped inside. Once, even a seagull landed here. As a Hindu, I cannot kill them even to save my life, and you are an animal rights crusader and vegetarian. So, we both shall die because of our beliefs. Now leave me alone or cut off your own hand and eat it.”
      Jessie thought about it. He’d heard of a man trapped on a mountain who’d survived by cutting strips of flesh from his thigh and eating them. But could he handle the pain? “You’re right, old man, my foolish beliefs have prevented me from killing the many fish that jumped aboard, but I thought we would be rescued before we ran out of protein tablets. Now fish no longer jump inside our raft and I have no fishhooks to catch them. Maybe a dolphin will swim alongside, and we can stab him with the knife.”
      “You will have to do that yourself, my friend, my religion forbids me from killing,” Mani Gupta said.
      “Then maybe you should die, old man. Sometimes we have to change our beliefs in order to survive.” Jessie lamented that someone had pilfered everything from the raft’s survival kit except the protein tabs, the knife, and a tarp and bottle to collect rainwater. At least nightfall would bring relief from the scorching sun.

The following morning both men awoke with a jolt. A Great White shark violently bumped the bottom of the raft, nearly tipping it over. The old Hindu began laughing hysterically.
      “What are you laughing about, you crazy old man, we were almost tossed into the jaws of that Great White?” Jessie asked.
      “Don’t you see the irony of Brahma? Here we are, nearing death because we refuse to kill even the creatures that would eat us. They have no religion or morals to restrain them from killing, so which is the more intelligent? It’s laughable, is it not?”
      “You’re out of your mind. I’m gonna kill something; it’s now down to survival of the fittest.”
      “Ah, that is the question, isn’t it, my young friend. Who do you sacrifice so that another may live?” Gupta asked.
      “I’m talking about animals, old man, not people. We have to sacrifice animals to live.”
      “What about humans, Sir, would you kill someone so you could live?”
      “That would be immoral,” Jessie answered.
      “But you said that sometimes we have to change our beliefs in order to survive. You are not being consistent.”
      Jessie understood the old man’s logic and suddenly realized there was no reason for both of them to die. Mani, the old fool, would die anyway, so what would be morally wrong with killing him before they both die? At least one person would survive. True, there wasn’t much meat on his emaciated body, but he could make fish hooks from his bones and use slivers of his liver as bait.
      Jessie waited until night fell and Mani began snoring. Quietly, he reached for the knife and unsheathed it. He would cut Mani ‘s spinal cord in the back of his neck to make his death painless. Moving carefully so as not to jiggle the raft, he slid across to the old man and raised the knife to plunge into the old man's chest.
      Mani’s eyes opened wide.
      “Go ahead, my friend, I give you permission to kill me. It is better that I die than both of us.”
      Jessie lowered the knife. Though he was dehydrated, a tiny tear formed. He was ashamed and bawled like an infant. After pulling himself together, Jessie begged for forgiveness.
      “I’m sorry, old man. I cannot sacrifice another so that I may live; I am not a shark.”
      “I forgive you, my friend. No one knows how they’ll behave when they face certain death. However, before you change your mind and pick up that knife again, look over your left shoulder.”
      Jessie could barely see through his swollen eyelids. “What is it?”
      “That’s a ship and they’ve spotted us!”

Jessie and Mani were hoisted aboard the rescue ship and placed on stretchers for transport to sick bay. That evening, the captain spoke to them: “You fellows are lucky, we were about to give up the search,” he said.
      “We thank you captain,” the Hindu said.
      “I’ll have the cook send dinner; I know you’re both starved.”
      “What’s for dinner,” Jessie asked.
      “Shark.”
      “Sounds delicious,” both men exclaimed.

The End
Copyright © 2018-2019 by Ken Pealock


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend For Life

    I was about 6 years old visiting a mean uncle when he used a bullwhip on his hunting dog. If I had been older, I would have put the whip to him. My best friend growing up was my dog and I don't understand how anyone can be cruel to animals.     That experience forms the basis for this short story. It also illustrates that no matter what you do for some people, they don't appreciate it. If you like it, follow me on Twitter and share this story with your friends. A Friend For Life The wiry old man in overalls cracked his bullwhip in the air. It sounded like a firecracker to the dog cowering under the car. He knew he would soon feel its sting.       “Get out from under that car, you worthless hound, and take your whipping.”       The dog never knew what he’d done to anger his master. He did everything he could to please him, but the beatings still came. He crawled to the right side of the undercarriage, hoping to avoid the worst of the whip.       “You thin

The Rooster

    I lived in a rural area during my boyhood and we had a backyard with chickens. This included a mean rooster who spurred anyone who came into "his" space.    The bullying rooster in this story learns three hard lessons: (1) No matter how tough a person (or rooster) may think he is, there is always someone tougher; (2)  no one is better than any other person; and (3) we don't really own anyone or anything, we only have use of it while we are alive.     In this extra-short story, the mean rooster uses wrestling holds popular in the 60s and 70s to describe his fight with another rooster. If you like the story, please share it with your friends. The Rooster I own this place .       It’s my territory so you better be careful. Yeah, I’m bad.       Why, just the other day I had to spur a snot-nosed 5-year-old girl for disrespecting me. She lives in the big house on the hill with her parents and tosses me a few measly dried-up corn niblets every day. Th

The Search for God

    In this short story, I present a humorous little story about a man's quest to understand our existence. The underlying message is that sometimes we can get in a lot of trouble by expressing our religious beliefs.     If you like this blog, please share this link with your friends and follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Your comments, good or bad, encourage me to continue. The Search for God Dear reader, I have a secret. Do you want to know what it is? Then keep reading, but I must warn you to never tell anyone or you’ll be crucified--or worse. The secret is the answer to three questions mankind has been asking for thousands of years:       Who am I?       What am I doing here?       Where do I go at death?       You’re probably wondering how I discovered these answers when billions of other people haven’t. Oh, they’ve imagined they had the answer – all the way to their graves. They believed the teachings given to them by organized religious lead