Skip to main content

When Eagles Soar


    This is a story about the inevitable loss of our youthfulness and how to deal with aging. We can become a recluse, or we can start a new life with someone we love no matter how old we are. I would marry an 80-year-old blind paraplegic if I fell in love with her heart. Love is about giving, not getting.
    If you like this story, please share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.

When Eagles Soar

Hollywood isn’t the best place to meet someone when you’re a celebrity. The callous paparazzi are everywhere, staking out the popular restaurants and hotels and cruising the streets.
      They are worse than vultures.
      To spot celebrities, they research the type of cars they drive and even the breed of dog they take for a walk. Sometimes these leeches sit for hours behind their telescopic lenses, merely to get a shot of a celebrity letting the dog out. And it doesn’t matter if you’re an aged has-been, the paparazzi delight in selling photos of aging celebrities. It’s something for the public to laugh at or pity.
      It was to avoid these vultures that Rachel, once the most popular screen actress of all time, chose a restaurant on the outskirts of Hollywood to meet me, Tony Allen. I am still her most ardent fan, and I waited patiently in a private dining room for her arrival. She appeared, wearing oversized sunglasses and a broad-brim hat that shaded her heavily-wrinkled face.
      Rachel smiled a heart-breaking smile for me. It was a genuine smile, not the forced kind that most movie stars put on for their fans. She was never a fake or egotist like the others. I pulled her chair out for her to sit and kissed her on the cheek before I sat down.
      “You leave me breathless every time I see you, Rachel. You know I still love you and think you’re as beautiful as ever.”
      “Hogwash on the beauty part, Tony.” She giggled. “But thank you for lying.”
      “Beauty isn’t just on the outside, Rachel, and millions of your fans still consider you beautiful. You’re an American institution from the glory days of Hollywood.”
      “I’m more like a relic, Tony. It’s why I’ve been a recluse for the last 25 years. The lights, the camera, and the adulation of the fans are just fading memories now. It was all vanity on my part anyway.” Rachel lost her smile and stared at the tablecloth.
      “You’re wrong, Rachel. Everyone wants to love and to be loved. If that’s vanity, we all need more of it in this world. You brought joy to millions of fans and they still love you, so don’t feel guilty over being a movie star. The limos and the glamorous lifestyle you led weren’t ego trips, at least not for you; they were rules you had to play in the movie industry and the fans expected it.”
      “I admit I personally enjoyed the attention.” She flashed a short smile and looked directly into my eyes.
      I reached across the table to squeeze her vein-laden hand. “As indeed you should have; you gave of your talent and you got something in return without asking for it. That’s what life and success is all about, Rachel.”
      “Well, perhaps you’re right, but my youth and those days are gone forever.” Rachel lowered her eyes to avoid my look of sympathy.
      I was moved by her sadness, but I had a plan. “How would you like to be young and on the big screen once more?”
      “Why, that’s impossible.”
      “Nothing is impossible if you strongly believe in it. Look into my eyes, Rachel. Just relax and look deep into my soul,” I said.
      “Okay, I’m relaxed.” She decided to play along.
      “Now close your eyes and open your mind to what I’m telling you.” I spoke in soft, repetitive phrases until she was in a deep trance. “Visualize yourself as a young eagle, effortlessly soaring through the sky with me to the premier of your latest movie. We’ve landed now, Rachel, and you have transformed into the elegantly-dressed young movie star you’ve always been. The chauffeur is now opening the door of our limo and we step out to greet your cheering fans. You are 27 years old, radiant in the bloom of youthfulness, and you’re holding my arm as we walk down the red carpet past the fans and clicking cameras. You’re wearing a glittering red gown with a flowing trellis when a fan hands you a bouquet of red roses.”
      I watched Rachel’s eyes move beneath her closed eyelids and saw the streams of tears trickle down both cheeks. Her smile was simply captivating, as it had always been. Then she spoke of her fans.
      “Tony, I love them all.”
      “And they love you, Rachel, as I do.” She leaned over to kiss me while imagining in the trance that she was entering the theater. She sat in the front row, surrounded by Hollywood’s biggest stars. “This movie is certain to garner an Academy Award for you, Rachel,” I whispered.
      Though Rachel’s eyes were closed, she held tight to my arm in our private room, watching the imaginary screen inside her own mind. As I suggested to her, the movie began with an 8-year-old actress portraying the childhood days of Rachel’s on-screen character named Rebecca. The movie began to follow Rebecca’s life and career—from a child raised on a Texas farm to an acclaimed actress, to her marriage and children, and to the loss of her husband in a plane crash. The final scene shows the lonely life that Rebecca has lived for the last 25 years of her life. Old and gray now, she gets an occasional visit only from her great grandson.
      “What’s it like to get old, grandma?” her grandson Timothy asks.
      Rachel’s on-screen character smiles. It was a rude question, but something one can expect from an inquisitive and innocent child. She stroked his hair, as she paused to collect her thoughts. “It’s like taking a long trip, Timmy. Like when you return home from a trip, tired, but with lots of souvenirs and stories to tell. Funny stories, sad stories, and lessons to share with others.”
      “What kind of lessons, grandma?”
      “Well, the greatest lesson I’ve learned is that old age is nothing to be ashamed of, and that death itself is nothing to fear. So, when you near the end of your journey, which will be a long, long time for you, don’t be sad. Instead, be of good cheer because afterwards you’ll renew your youth and fly again on the wings of eagles.”
      Timmy stared at Rachel for a moment, not yet old enough to comprehend. “I gotta go, grandma, see you later.”
      “Bye, Timmy; Granny needs to rest now.”
      The final scene in the movie shows Rebecca sleeping peacefully in her rocker as the camera sweeps outside her home. A lone eagle flies out and meets a dozen others in the heavens. Her deceased earthly loved ones had been waiting for her.

I gave Rachel a post-hypnotic suggestion to wake up happy and refreshed, with full knowledge that the movie was a hypnotic dream I’d crafted for her. On awakening, she wrapped her arms around me and kissed me.
      “Thank you for that wonderful dream, my dear friend. I’m going to call my old publicist and tell him to schedule a news crew for my first public appearance in 25 years. I’ll no longer hide my face; I want to tell them the same message about old age and death that Rebecca gave her great grandson.”
      “Don’t make that call, Rachel,” I said.
      “Why not?”
      “Because I’ve called a producer I know and presented a script for a movie; you will be the star and appear at the end of the movie.”
      “Are you serious?”
      “Yes, Rachel. Let’s just deliver your message about aging on the big screen.”
      “You are truly my dearest of friends!”
      “I know, and for the 50th time will you marry me?”
`     “Yes, a thousand times yes!”
      “Good, now hold out your pretty hand and let me slip on this engagement ring.”

The End
Copyright © 2018-2019 by Ken Pealock



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Friend For Life

    I was about 6 years old visiting a mean uncle when he used a bullwhip on his hunting dog. If I had been older, I would have put the whip to him. My best friend growing up was my dog and I don't understand how anyone can be cruel to animals.     That experience forms the basis for this short story. It also illustrates that no matter what you do for some people, they don't appreciate it. If you like it, follow me on Twitter and share this story with your friends. A Friend For Life The wiry old man in overalls cracked his bullwhip in the air. It sounded like a firecracker to the dog cowering under the car. He knew he would soon feel its sting.       “Get out from under that car, you worthless hound, and take your whipping.”       The dog never knew what he’d done to anger his master. He did everything he could to please him, but the beatings still came. He crawled to the right side of the undercarriage, hoping to avoid the worst of the whip.       “You thin

The Rooster

    I lived in a rural area during my boyhood and we had a backyard with chickens. This included a mean rooster who spurred anyone who came into "his" space.    The bullying rooster in this story learns three hard lessons: (1) No matter how tough a person (or rooster) may think he is, there is always someone tougher; (2)  no one is better than any other person; and (3) we don't really own anyone or anything, we only have use of it while we are alive.     In this extra-short story, the mean rooster uses wrestling holds popular in the 60s and 70s to describe his fight with another rooster. If you like the story, please share it with your friends. The Rooster I own this place .       It’s my territory so you better be careful. Yeah, I’m bad.       Why, just the other day I had to spur a snot-nosed 5-year-old girl for disrespecting me. She lives in the big house on the hill with her parents and tosses me a few measly dried-up corn niblets every day. Th

The Search for God

    In this short story, I present a humorous little story about a man's quest to understand our existence. The underlying message is that sometimes we can get in a lot of trouble by expressing our religious beliefs.     If you like this blog, please share this link with your friends and follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Your comments, good or bad, encourage me to continue. The Search for God Dear reader, I have a secret. Do you want to know what it is? Then keep reading, but I must warn you to never tell anyone or you’ll be crucified--or worse. The secret is the answer to three questions mankind has been asking for thousands of years:       Who am I?       What am I doing here?       Where do I go at death?       You’re probably wondering how I discovered these answers when billions of other people haven’t. Oh, they’ve imagined they had the answer – all the way to their graves. They believed the teachings given to them by organized religious lead